The best kind of food photography lets you experience the food as if you were right there. You are able to smell it, taste its texture and almost taste it. And food photography on Instagram is a smorgasbord for your eyes, right at your fingertips. Here are 10 people treating you to visual delights in their own unique way.
1. Kei Yamazaki (keiyamazaki) loves breakfast with a burning passion. The graphic designer from Japan makes a lovely breakfast every single day and uploads pictures of it. Her Instagram feed will make you wish she was your neighbour.
2. Kulsum Kalwa (journeykitchen) is a photographer based in Kuwait. She shoots professionally but also puts up pictures of her own culinary creations. You will find Indian food looking very pretty on her feed.
3. Jamie Oliver (jamieoliver) needs no introduction. No foodstagrammer list is complete without this TV chef. He cooks and shoots his delicious creations and apart from that you also get a glimpse into this celebrity chef’s fun life.
4. theghostonmyback (theghostonmyback) is perfect for all you vegetarian foodies out there. The happy vegan photographer maintains a lovely rustic looking table as a background for all her shots and arranges her veggie delights very pleasingly.
5. Ida Skivenes (idafrosk) shoots food art. Her creations are mini works ranging from famous artists like Vincent Van Gogh to a happy looking dog. Warning: you do not feel like eating her creations, you just want to stare.
6. Saitoasamisan (as3920) sends two very happy kids to school every day. And why wouldn’t they be? With a different character waiting in their tiffins every day, lunch time at school will be even more awaited!
7. Misslynx2 (misslynx2) shoots her gorgeous food and glamourous life alike. The backgrounds to her dishes are stark and you will be focussed on the food without anything to distract you from the food.
8. Hana (jveuxetrebonne) knows how to have fun with her food. Seriously creative fun. Her photographs are pop art inspired so you will definitely find a lot of colour. She even shoots stop motions of food scenes!
9. Sonya Yu (sonyayu) calls herself a food ‘pornographer’ who warns you that her feed may make you ‘hangry’. She shoots beautiful images of her food, wherever she goes. You will also find shots of her two adorable dogs sometimes with her food too.
10. Daniel Krieger (danielkrieger) is a professional photographer for The New York Times. His food shots are tailored to perfection and even the humble pizza looks incredibly stylised in his images.
Feel inspired to try your hands at food photography? You can view this article for simple tips.
This article originally appeared in the May 2014 issue of Better Photography.